For the first time in three years, I'm not working at a coffee shop. You know what that means? I get to be just a normal customer; I get to choose my favorite shop and call it mine (well, in a sense); and I get to keep coming back simply to get to know the employees and try everything on the menu! To say the least, I love it, and I'd like to share my favorite shop with you as my first Places to Go in SLO: A series on the best spots to visit in San Luis Obispo, CA.
There are LOTS of coffee houses in San Luis: Kreuzberg, Sally Loo's, Bello Mundo, Linnaea's, and that's not even scratching the surface. They are each wonderful and unique. Yes, that means a high level of competition for them, but for the community, it's a great advantage! Whether you're a dimly lit, artsy musician type or a bright and happy people-person, there's a perfect place for everyone.
I fall into the realm of "bright and happy people-person", and so, naturally, I was instantly drawn to Scout Coffee Company, conveniently placed on Garden St. (Isn't that nice?). Scout is a new establishment in San Luis, only 8 months old, and their business is rapidly growing. Coming from my old home at Lucky Llama in Carpinteria (another, fairly new, family-owned coffee house), it was a joy to see this shop also doing so well. How could they not, though, with their exquisite interior design and pristine beverage menu?
To give you an idea of why I think Scout is a great place to visit in SLO, here's a list of all my favorite things about it:
- The huge glass doors that let in a generous amount of sunlight (They're huge!)
- The Iced latte (It's so creamy and delicious; they do Verve right.)
- The chilled cups they serve cold drinks in (a really nice touch)
- The Open/Industrial Look (the ceiling displays beams and pipes–really cool)
- Their house-baked granola (To die for!)
- The large wall dedicated to a gold and cream floral pattern (great for pictures)
- The speckles of greenery (small trees, succulents, flowers, you name it!)
- Their Affogato (this one puts all others to shame.)
- The Street-Level Espresso (the beans to take home)
- Their group of awesome employees (really friendly people)
- Their cute apparel and extensive collection of coffee gadgets (nicely displayed in one area)
- The brick walls (I really love bricks)
- The newly added "living wall" (displayed behind the register– a perfect placement)
- And last but not least, they have the BEST mugs (All diner style and with great, simple designs.)
Check out their Instagram to get an inside look!
As you can see, Scout is awesome! If you live in SLO, or the surrounding area, please stop by, for your own good. If you're ever passing through, I advise you get off the freeway and wander over to Garden St. to get yourself some caffeine for the drive. You'll love it!
Happy SLO Days!